For almost 100 years the YWCA of Banff has been the leading resource for women and their families fleeing domestic violence and for providing safe, affordable housing for Bow Valley community members. It was with the YWCA National mandate in mind, that we officially opened our doors in 1912 to serve the critical needs of our community in housing and anti-violence prevention.
In 1987, the old Banff Mineral Springs Hospital was acquired and renovated by the YWCA of Banff for the purpose of providing affordable co-ed accommodation. The building was awarded to the YWCA for $1 because of the YWCA’s successful 75 year history in housing and social services. Until 1995 when the organization became autonomous, the YWCA of Banff was under the auspices of the Calgary YWCA.
We are still in the same location today at 102 Spray Ave. The organization continues to evolve and is now structured based on our three pillars: Programs & Services, Housing, and the YWCA Banff Hotel social enterprise.