May is Sexual Violence Awareness Month in Alberta.
Join the conversation throughout the month and get involved! TAKE ACTION BE AN UPSTANDER!
Join the conversation
Let The Truth Talk PodcastListen
Free TrainingRegister Now!
#SVAM Social Media KitDownload & Share
Calendar of Events
Month of May (Tuesday Evenings) | Art Therapy
May 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 (Tuesday Evenings) | 6 PM – 8 PM
Canmore Recreation Centre | 1900 8 Ave
This May 2023, the YWCA will be offering a 5-week art therapy circle to support Bow Valley locals that have been impacted either directly or indirectly by sexual violence.
The group will be facilitated by The Harmony Project, a YWCA Residential Program Counsellor, and Kristin Slagorsky, a local art therapy student (MSW, RSW) as part of her practicum with the Vancouver Art Therapy Institute. The circle will explore themes like voice, boundaries, power, embodiment and choice.
Materials will be provided, and participants are asked to commit to all five weeks to create a consistent and caring environment for all involved.
Sessions are free for everyone – however space is limited to 10 participants.
This Art Therapy Circle will…
- use creative practices to explore your self-expression and reclaim your voice
- introduce you to art materials and processes to soothe your nervous system
- activate your senses to promote feeling at home in your body
- provide a supportive space to connect with others who’ve been impacted by violence
This Art Therapy Circle is not…
- an art class. You don’t need artistic prowess or skill to benefit.
- a deep dive into your personal history of trauma
- evaluative. We are not judging if your art is “good” or “bad”
- about making something pretty or pleasing. It’s about expression.
- interpreted by others. As the creator, you get to make meaning.
Click HERE to register.
May 31 | The Dos and Doughnuts of Being an Upstander
May 31 | 6 PM – 7:30 PM (Please arrive 10 minutes early)
Fenlands Rec Centre | Meeting Room 2
Join The Harmony Project and Frankie D’s Doughnuts for a community conversation on how we can all be upstanders.
This is for you if you feel we could all be doing more to create safer and more inclusive communities. No prior education or knowledge on the topic is needed to enjoy this session. 2SLGBTQ+ community is welcome.
Click HERE to register.
Month of May (Thursday Evenings) | Women's Circle
May 4, 11, 18, 25 (Thursday Evenings) | 6 PM – 8 PM
YWCA Banff | 102 Spray Ave
This women’s circle series is a dedicated time and space for women and the 2SLGBTQ+ community to come together. These are free sessions and the intention is for the same group to attend all sessions.
Session are now full. If you would like to be added to the waitlist, please click HERE.
If you have any questions about the events above, please email .
Help us shape a safe, inclusive community that empowers women and girls.
Sign up for The Bridge Newsletter
Creating Community Connections.